Case Of Dead Children In Suitcase In New Zealand: Police Arrest Woman

Case Of Dead Children In Suitcase In New Zealand: Police Arrest Woman

Case Of Dead Children In Suitcase In New Zealand: Police Arrest Woman.

Case Of Dead Children In Suitcase In New Zealand: Police Arrest Woman

South Korean police said Thursday they have arrested a woman accused of murdering her two children, whose remains were found in suitcases in New Zealand last month.

Recall that in August, Choc News reported the incident where the remains of two dead primary school children were found in an auctioned suitcase. In the previous report, the South Korean authorities traced a woman who was alleged to have left New Zealand in 2018, and who may have ties to the children.

The 42-year-old who is reportedly a South Korean-born New Zealand national was arrested in the southeastern city of Ulsan, police said, and has been transferred to the capital Seoul to face extradition proceedings.

“Police arrested the suspect at an apartment in Ulsan on Thursday following a stakeout with tips on her whereabouts and CCTV footage,” South Korea’s National Police Agency said in a statement.

“The suspect is accused by the New Zealand police of having murdered her two children — aged seven and 10 at the time — in around 2018 in the Auckland area.”

“She’s been found to have arrived in South Korea after the crime and has been in hiding ever since,” the statement added.

Images in local media showed the woman, who has not been identified by police in South Korea or New Zealand, being led out of an Ulsan police station by plainclothed investigators, covering her head with a large brown coat.

But when asked by local journalists whether she would confess to the killings, the woman declared,

“I didn’t do it,” she said repeatedly, as she was led away and put into a police vehicle.

South Korea’s Yonhap News Agency said the woman is a South Korean-born New Zealand citizen, stating she started living in an acquaintance’s apartment in Ulsan this year, having earlier stayed in Seoul.

The suspect arrived at the Seoul Central District Prosecutors Office on Thursday afternoon, AFP reports and was driven into the building’s basement parking lot in a police vehicle with tinted windows.

The remains of the two children were discovered in August after an unsuspecting family bought a trailer-load of items — including the suitcases — at an auction for abandoned goods near Auckland, New Zealand’s biggest city.

New Zealand police have said the bodies were likely in storage for several years, which has complicated the investigation.

Authorities have repeatedly stressed that the family who found the bodies were not connected to the homicides and were being given support to help deal with the trauma.

Detective Inspector Tofilau Fa’amanuia Vaaelua in Auckland said Thursday that the case was “a very challenging investigation”.

“To have someone in custody overseas within such a short period of time has all been down to the assistance of the Korean authorities and the coordination by our New Zealand Police Interpol staff,” the detective said.

About Author
Get Local and International News, Entertainment, Scholarships, and other updates daily from Nigeria and around the world.