Toddler Dies from Fentanyl Poisoning in New York Daycare, Owner Arrested.
- Four children, all under the age of three, were hospitalized as a result of this incident.
A horrifying incident in New York has led to the arrest of a daycare owner and a tenant on charges related to the death of a one-year-old boy due to fentanyl poisoning.
Grei Mendez, aged 36, was taken into custody over the weekend following a tragic incident at the Divino Nino Daycare in the Bronx, where emergency paramedics responded to reports of unconscious children on a Friday.
The investigation uncovered a shocking revelation – a significant quantity of fentanyl was discovered within the facility, including a kilogram of the drug stored on top of children’s playmats.
Tragically, four children, all under the age of three, were hospitalized as a result of this incident, with one of them losing their life.
Mendez and Carlisto Acevedo Brito, aged 41 and a tenant in the apartment housing the daycare, now face a series of charges in New York state, including murder, drug possession, and intent to distribute. In addition to these state charges, both individuals were indicted on federal narcotics charges, as revealed in an unsealed indictment on Tuesday.
Frank Tarentino, a special agent with the Drug Enforcement Administration, expressed the gravity of the situation, stating, “Tragedy doesn’t begin to describe the events that took place at Divino Nino Daycare.” He emphasized the devastating consequences of this death and the drug poisonings, calling them “every parent’s worst nightmare” and underscoring the severe danger posed by fentanyl to New Yorkers.
U.S. Attorney Damian Williams condemned Mendez’s actions, asserting that she had placed children “directly in harm’s way” by operating a narcotics operation within the same space where children ate, slept, and played. This horrifying incident serves as a stark reminder of the dangers associated with illegal drug activities and the paramount importance of child safety.