2023 Google Africa PhD Fellowship Program for African Graduate Students (Worth $30,000).
The Google PhD Fellowship Program is a prestigious opportunity for exceptional graduate students who are doing innovative and impactful research in areas relevant to computer science and related fields. As a Google PhD Fellow, you will be recognized by Google researchers and your institution as one of the most promising young academics in the world.
The program provides financial support to promising PhD candidates of all backgrounds who seek to influence the future of technology. It is an opportunity to engage with Google’s research community and work on cutting-edge projects that have the potential to make a significant impact on society.
Google is committed to fostering inclusive research communities and encourages people of diverse backgrounds to apply for the fellowship. As a Google PhD Fellow, you will have the opportunity to join a community of like-minded individuals who are passionate about pushing the boundaries of computer science and related fields. You will also have access to a range of resources and opportunities, including mentorship, networking events, and internship opportunities at Google.
Overall, the Google PhD Fellowship Program is a unique opportunity for outstanding graduate students to take their research to the next level and make a meaningful impact on the world.
The Fellowships are awarded to students who represent the future of research in the following fields:
- Algorithms, optimizations and markets
- Computational neural and cognitive sciences
- Health research
- Human-Computer interaction
- Machine learning
- Machine perception, speech technology and computer vision
- Mobile computing
- Natural language processing (including Information Retrieval and Extraction)
- Privacy and Security
- Programming Languages and Software Engineering
- Quantum computing
- Recommender systems
- Structured data and database management
- Systems and networking
Students receive named Fellowships which include a monetary award. The funds are given directly to the university to be distributed to cover the student’s expenses and stipend as appropriate. In addition, the student will be matched with a Google Research Mentor. There is no employee relationship between the student and Google as a result of receiving the fellowship. The award does not preclude future eligibility for internships or employment opportunities at Google, nor does it increase the chances of obtaining them. If students wish to apply for a job at Google, they are welcome to apply for jobs and go through the same hiring process as any other person.
- Up to 3 year Fellowship
- US $30K to cover stipend and other research related activities, travel expenses including overseas travel
- Google Research Mentor
For current PhD Students
- Applicants must be enrolled into a full-time PhD program at a university in Africa. Applicants who are currently in their first year of a part-time PhD program and transferring to full-time positions are also welcome to apply.
- Students should be early stage PhD students, i.e., should not have been into more than 1 year of their PhD. Applicants for the 2023 Fellowship must have started their program on or after 1-Jan-2023.
- Students must remain enrolled in the PhD program for the duration of the Fellowship or forfeit the award.
- Applicants must be pursuing a PhD in Computer Science or related areas.
- Google employees and family members of Google employees are not eligible
- Students who are already receiving another corporate fellowship are not eligible.
For current Undergraduate/Masters students and Professionals
- Grant of the fellowship to this category of applicants is contingent on them joining a full-time PhD program at a university in Africa within the calendar year of the award.
- Student applicants must be full-time Undergraduate or Masters students enrolled at an African university. Professionals must be employed/affiliated with an organization registered in Africa.
- The Google Fellowship award shall be contingent on the awardee registering for the full-time PhD program at an African university, in Computer Science or related areas, within the calendar year 2023, or the award shall be forfeited.
- Grant of the Google Fellowship does not mean admission to the PhD program of a university. The awardee must also complete the PhD admission process of the respective institute/university where he/she wishes to register for PhD.
- Grant of the Google Fellowship will be subject to the rules and guidelines applicable in the institute/university where the awardee registers for the PhD program.
- Google employees and family members of Google employees are not eligible.
- The Google Africa PhD Fellowship program application window is now open.
- Submit by 11:59:59pm UTC-12 (AOE) May 11, 2023. Notification of decisions will be made in July 2023.
Application Deadline: May 11, 2023
Leave a Reply